Do these amazing keto crepes with strawberries look like diet food to you? It just goes to prove you can have your crepes and eat them too! This recipe is exactly why keto is called a lifestyle and not a diet.
One of the things we all share in common is associating food with traditions and memories. For as long as I can remember, I’ve had strawberry crepes for my birthday. No matter where I was or what I was doing, I always treated myself with these light, yummy, delectable crepes.
When we decided to change our eating habits and follow the keto way of eating, I was hesitant because I didn’t want to give up some of our family food traditions. But here’s the good news, we can take our favorite dishes and make them keto-friendly! Even these amazing keto crepes with strawberries!
The only thing you have to give up with this recipe is carbs.
What Are Crepes?
A Crepe is a type of very thin, cooked pancake usually made from wheat flour. The word, like the pancake itself, is of French origin, deriving from the Latin crispa, meaning “curled.” Although Crepes are generally made with wheat flour, they can be made with any kind of nut flour. We make ours with almond flour, but feel free to use whichever kind you have on hand.
We are making these low carb almond flour crepes to stay within the keto diet guidelines. They are gluten free, grain free, and easy to make!
Sweet or Savory
Crepes are served and eaten one of two ways: sweet or savory. Our amazing strawberry crepes are sweet, but you can easily adjust the recipe by omitting the sugar and adding a touch of salt.
In addition to a strawberry topping, some other sweet crepe suggestions are:
- Cinnamon and Erythritol Sugar
- Nutella (recipe here)
- Blueberry Topping (recipe here)
- Blackberry Topping (recipe here)
- Whipped Topping (recipe here)
Now if you wanted to change this recipe to a savory one, remove the sugar and add a pinch of salt. Some savory topping suggestions are:
- Low Carb Sausage Gravy (recipe here)
- Swedish Meatballs in Cream Sauce (recipe here)
- Sauteed Peppers and Onions
Strawberries, Berries, and Keto
Strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries can be eaten in small amounts on a keto low-carb diet. Even blueberries are allowed on the keto diet in moderation. That’s because berries are lower in carbohydrates and sugar.
- Raspberries – 1/2 cup contains 3 grams of net carbs.
- Blackberries – 1/2 cup contains 4 grams of net carbs.
- Strawberries – 1/2 cup contains 6 grams of net carbs.
- Blueberries – 1/2 contains 6 grams of net carbs.
In addition to being one of my favorite fruits, strawberries have a low glycemic load and index, making them a perfect choice for this recipe. You can also top them off with this amazing berry topping.
Piece De Resistance
Every amazing recipe deserves a grand finale and our strawberry crepes are no exception. Add our Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream to the top of your crepes to create a combination to die for.
What is your favorite way to eat Crepes? How about some coconut flour pancakes to try?
- 2 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 6 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tsp Erythritol Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- Add eggs, milk, sugar, flour and vanilla in a mixing bowl
- Mix thoroughly
- Heat 1 tsp of coconut oil in a 9" saucepan over medium heat
- Pour 2 Tbsp of mix into pan and move pan around until batter coats the bottom of pan.
- Cook over medium heat until you see the batter isn't wet anymore.
- Use a spatula and flip the crepe to brown the other side if desired.
- Remove crepe from pan and repeat process until you run out of batter. Crepes will be like a very think pancake.
- To serve, fold crepe in half and top with Berry Topping and whipped cream
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Paderno World Cuisine Blue Carbon Steel Crepe Pan/10 1/4" Induction Ready Pancake Pan
- Nature's Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil- Pure, Cold-pressed, Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten-free- 32 Ounce
- Watkins Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla Extract, with Pure Vanilla Extract, 11 Ounce (Packaging may vary)
- NOW Foods Erythritol Natural Sweetener, 1 lb
- Nature's Eats Blanched Almond Flour, 32 Ounce
This is a guest post by Amber Bradshaw of My Homestead Life. Amber is an environmentalist, homesteader, garden and outdoor enthusiast. She is a wife, mother of three. Amber owns a contracting business with her husband, was President of the local Herb Society for the last three years, a 4-H Leader, Blogger and runs a CSA. Amber strives to get back into nature with a more sustainable and self-reliant lifestyle that fits a busy schedule and a tight budget. She lives on the east coast with her family on a little over 1/4 acre and encourages others to do big things with small spaces.