Make your own homemade keto friendly nutella chocolate spread without added highly processed sugar!
I love Nutella. I would totally eat the hazenutty, chocolatey goodness day in and day out. It’s great on bread, over ice cream or by the spoonful. My childhood was spent enjoying this deliciousness all weekend long.
Unfortunately, there is way to much sugar in there to even consider being keto. Or healthy for any diet. Too much sugar is never good, as we all know. However, the craving for Nutella has never gone away, despite all my sugar detoxing. What’s a girl to do?
Make her own keto friendly nutella version of course!
This keto friendly recipe has all the flavor of the regular nutella, but without the added sugar. You can make it as chunky or as smooth as you like, as well by simply blending it longer. The best part? It’s only 7 easy ingredients!
The ingredient lineup for this keto friendly nutella:
- Hazelnuts-the star of the show, with 70 grams fat, 8 net carbs, and 17 grams protein per cup. (get some here from my affiliate partner)
- Coconut oil-for adding in healthy fats, as well as making things smoother. (get some here from my affiliate partner)
- Cocoa powder-for the chocolate factor, of course (get some here from my affiliate partner)
- vanilla bean (get some here from my affiliate partner)
- Erythritol- for keeping it sweet without the blood sugar increase. (get it here from my affiliate partner)
- cream-added body and flavor
The secret to great flavor is to gently roast the nuts in a dry skillet first. This will help bring out the oils of the nuts and give it an added flavor boost. Melting the coconut oil in the pan and heating it gently with the vanilla bean will also increase the flavor of this delicious spread. You can also substitute butter for coconut oil, if you’d like and it will taste just as great.
What will you try this keto friendly nutellla on first? Cloud bread, keto friendly bagels or just by the spoonful? Be sure to pin this for later!
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons Erithrytol
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- pinch salt
Slice a vanilla bean in half, and scrape the insides with a sharp knife.
Add vanilla to a food processor or blender.
Heat a skillet over medium high heat.
Add the hazelnuts and remainder of vanilla bean to the skillet and allow to heat for 2 minutes to release oils and blend flavors.
Remove the vanilla bean and set aside.
Pour nuts into food processor.
Measure the coconut oil out in solid form, add to warm skillet.
Place vanilla bean from the nuts with the coconut oil to allow flavors to blend as oil melts.
Remove the vanilla bean and pour melted coconut oil over nuts.
Add cocoa powder, erithrytol and salt to processor.
Gently blend on low for 2 minutes.
Add cream in slow stream as nut mixture is blending.
Continue to blend until smooth.
Store in refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Vanilla Beans Tahitian Vanilla by Slofoodgroup Vanilla Tahitensis Premium Quality Vanilla Beans (5 each Tahitian Vanilla Beans)
- Anna and Sarah Raw Oregon Hazelnuts (Filberts) in Resealable Bag, 1 Lb
- Nature's Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil- Pure, Cold-pressed, Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten-free- 32 Ounce
- Vitamix Explorian Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Container, Black (Certified Refurbished)
- Healthworks Cacao Powder Organic, 1lb
- NOW Foods Erythritol Natural Sweetener, 1 lb