Using a cast iron pan will help you make the most perfect sirloin steak! Beautiful crispy crust and perfectly cooked inside, adding rosemary and butter will take it up another notch!
Protein is a must on the keto diet. It is the building block for muscles, hair, nails, and is vital for a healthy body. One of the best ways to keto protein on a keto diet is to consume meat. Meat has protein, healthy fats, and is zero carb. It’s a win-win-win on the keto diet.
To get that protein, red meats, such as hamburger, ribs, and steaks are a great choice. Since steak is usually a higher price tag, when we turn to that nice cut of meat, you will want to make sure it’s done perfectly.
Sirloin steak is a good quality steak, with a more affordable price tag. It isn’t as fatty as ribeye, and can easily be overcooked into oblivion as a result. However, you CAN still get the perfect sirloin steak, that is restaurant quality.
A cast iron pan is almost universally recognized as a MUST for cooking steaks indoors. Cast iron holds heat well, and is very workable at even high temperatures. Your perfect sirloin steak will begin with a good searing crust to keep juices in, and a cast iron pan will provide that.
Since sirloin generally isn’t that fatty, adding a bit of oil and butter to the pan to cook it in will help keep it from drying out. Also, this is where I will beg and plead with you to NOT cook it to well-done. That can make it dry and tasteless. If you MUST have your sirloin steak well done, well, I can’t stop you. 🙂
Rosemary is delicious on steak, and will balance the flavors nicely. It will give it a wonderful aroma, too.
Here’s some tips on making the perfect sirloin steak:
- Allow your steaks to sit out at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before cooking.
- Season the steaks JUST before you place on the cast iron pan. The salt will draw out the moisture otherwise.
- Make sure your cast iron pan is “screaming” hot when you place the steaks on it. This helps to sear the meat, keeping the juices inside where they belong.
- Adding a bit of butter to the oil, and basting the steaks as they cook helps to add loads of flavor.
- Don’t overcrowd your steaks in the pan. It’s best to cook 1-2 at a time, and allow them to rest while cooking the others if necessary rather than trying to squeeze them all in at the same time.
- Let your steaks rest for at least 5 minutes off the heat before you slice into it. This will also help keep the juices inside the steak, instead of all over your plate.
Cooking times for a 2 inch thick sirloin steak:
- Blue (dark, almost purple color, with no resistance when pressed with a finger): 1 min each side
- Rare (dark red in color, will feel spongy and have slight resistance): 1½ mins per side
- Medium rare (pink inside, with juice, will feel spongy and soft and be slightly springy in resistance): 2 mins per side
- Medium (pale pink inside, little to no juice, and will feel firm in resistance): About 2¼ mins per side
- Well-done (slight trace of pink color, no juice, and will feel very firm in resistance): Cook for about 4-5 mins each side, depending on thickness.
What is your favorite way to enjoy the perfect sirloin steak? Do you like it for breakfast with eggs, as a salad, or by itself at lunch or dinner?
If you don’t eat Kosher, you can try this Surf and Turf recipe with your steak, too!
Other recipes you are sure to enjoy:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 inch thick sirloin steak
- 2 Sprigs fresh Rosmary
- Heat the cast iron pan on high heat until very hot.
- Add oil and 1 Tablespoon of butter and allow to melt slightly.
- Season steak with salt and pepper liberally on both sides.
- Place steak in the hot, oiled pan and set a timer for desired doneness.
- Add rosemary sprigs next to, and on top of steak.
- Halfway through the time, gently tilt pan and spoon oil and butter over the steak several times.
- Flip over and set timer again.
- Repeat basting procedure.
- After final timer goes off, remove steak from heat and allow tor rest for at least 5 minutes.
Some of Zach's favorite keto resources include:
Perfect Keto: For those who are looking for easy supplements that support a Keto diet, Perfect Keto offers a variety of products that make it easy to stay in ketosis including keto bars, whey protein, and keto nootropics.
KetoLogic: For those who have a sweet tooth, KetoLogic sells keto-friendly chocolate candies with only 1g of net carbs & zero added sugars.