Smooth, creamy and full of good for you fats, this no bake keto friendly vanilla custard is a recipe you will want to make again and again!
I love smooth, creamy desserts. Truly, who doesn’t, right? If they are super easy to make, using healthy ingredients, and something my entire family can enjoy, why not indulge?
High blood sugar, sugar crashes and weight gain would be the main reason why not.
Indulging in too many sugary sweets can raise your blood sugar faster than a jackrabbit on a date. For a family that loves its desserts, that’s not a good thing. Typically, my family spends lazy weekend evenings around the table with a sweet treat along with a board game or while we watch a good flick. Our usual would be ice cream, maybe milk and cookies, or homemade pudding.
When my brother comes to visit us, we often have creamy desserts like custard or eclairs. He absolutely loves them. It’s a treat for him to get homemade desserts, and when they are his favorites, too? Win! As a matter of fact, they are a menu staple when he’s here. Just sayin. (he really likes his sugary treats-but he’s French, so that may have something to do with it.)
That habit HAD to change, though. It just isn’t good for any of us to consume that much sugar on a regular basis like we had been. When you want something creamy, with a bit of sweet, what exactly can you have, then?
This keto friendly vanilla custard will come to mind.
Calling this the best vanilla custard you will ever have may sound like a stretch, but honestly, it’s definitely the easiest you will make. Everyone needs a good homemade vanilla custard recipe that you can easily adapt if you want. This recipe is IT. Full of rich cream, sunny egg yolks and loads of vanilla flavor, the light sweetness will satisfy your cravings without the guilt.
It’s easy to make, with only 4 simple ingredients. A few minutes on the stove, a couple hours chilling, and you have mounds of rich, creamy goodness that is perfect for nearly any time of day. The added bonus is that the rich flavors from the egg and cream and vanilla will more than make up for the lack of sugar in it. Really. The Frenchman never even knows what he’s missing. A dish of this and he’s happier than a lark. Of course, you could always top it off with a bit of vanilla bean whipped cream, just to be sure!
Are you ready for a new keto vanilla custard experience? Be sure to pin this for later!
- 2 whole vanilla beans
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup erithrytol
- 6 egg yolks
- Carefully slice the vanilla beans down the middle and scrape the insides out with a sharp knife.
- Gently beat the egg yolks together in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the heavy cream to a double boiler on medium high heat.
- Stir in the erythritol to the cream and stir constantly.
- Continue to heat gently until the cream begins to bubble on the edges, but stir only occasionally to prevent burning. Heat for approximately 5-7 minutes, allowing the mixture to being to thicken.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the hot cream to the egg yolks and mix vigorously to temper the yolks.
- Pour the yolks in, 2 Tablespoons at a time to the heated cream while continously stirring over medium high heat.
- Continue to add yolks and stirring until all yolks are added.
- Heat the custard gently until it thickens to coat the back of a spoon
- Pour into an 8x8 baking dish or single serving ramekins.
- Chill for 2-3 hours to finish setting.
- Serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 487 Total Fat: 50g Saturated Fat: 30g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 411mg Sodium: 44mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 4g Protein: 7g
Some of Zach's favorite keto resources include:
Ketogenic: Ketogenic is a unique site that offers a short 1-minute quiz that will tell whether you can achieve the results you're looking for with the keto diet based on your goals and challenges.
KetoLogic: For those who have a sweet tooth, KetoLogic sells keto-friendly chocolate candies with only 1g of net carbs & zero added sugars.
Keto Sports: Keto Sports sells ketone-based products that support a ketogenic diet. Their products can be used by the average person and athletes alike to support the keto diet, active lifestyles, and for therapeutic use.