A classic with a kosher and keto twist, this chicken cordon bleu is an easy weeknight dinner, too! Start to finish in less than 30 minutes!
Chicken cordon bleu is a classic French dish. It’s traditionally a chicken breast, flattened out, with ham and swiss cheese rolled into it, breaded and baked. A creamy mustard type sauce is drizzled over the top, and viola! Delicious French food.
However, for my family there are a couple of issues with the classic Chicken Cordon Bleu. Things that needed to be tweaked so we could enjoy the dish.
- The breading has to go. Too many carbs.
- No ham, as we eat Kosher.
- Chicken breasts without breading and the fat of the ham get dried out quickly and can be unappetizing.
I set to work at getting the same flavors as the classic chicken cordon bleu, but with those problems solved.
First, I took out the ham. I wanted the sweetness that ham would bring, so I used honey roasted turkey breast. It gave the chicken cordon bleu the sweeter flavor, but still Kosher. I tried regular roasted turkey, black forest deli turkey, and the only one that really worked well was the honey roasted.
You could easily substitute deli ham, or any deli turkey if you wish. The flavor will be a bit different, but the recipe will still work.
Second problem to solve was the breading. I couldn’t use pork rinds, and almond flour just didn’t do the same thing for me. I chose to just leave the breading off to reduce the carbs.
Using chicken breasts is the classic chicken cordon bleu way, but without the breading, it got more dry and tough. So, I opted to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Thighs also work better for this dish as you don’t need to do any pounding. They are already easy to roll the deli meat and cheese in it.
Now, I have the tastes of the classic dish, with less work, carbs, and is Kosher and keto!
Are you ready for a keto chicken cordon bleu that will blow your taste buds away?
- 10 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 20 slices honey roasted deli turkey
- 10 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Lay out the chicken thighs and season with 1 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper on both sides.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of the Dijon mustard down the middle of each chicken thigh.
- Layer 2 slices deli turkey and 1 slice of Swiss cheese on top of each chicken thigh.
- Roll into a tight roll, and secure with 2 toothpicks. Repeat for all 10 thighs. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, until chicken juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads at least 165 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest while making sauce.
- In a pint sized mason jar, add egg yolks, chopped garlic, remaining mustard, apple cider vinegar, remaining salt and pepper.
- Using a hand held blender, whip the ingredients for 10 seconds to combine.
- Pour in melted butter and whip the ingredients for an additional 20-30 seconds until combined and mixture begins to thicken.
- Pour sauce over chicken cordon bleu and serve.
What is your favorite classic dish that you tweak for the keto diet? Let me know if you try this Chicken Cordon Bleu, and what you think!
Other Chicken Dishes You Are Sure to Enjoy
Chicken Cordon Bleu (keto, low carb)
Serving Size: 2 pieces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1248 Total Fat: 51.8g Saturated Fat: 33g Trans Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 38g Cholesterol: 514mg Sodium: 2188mg Carbohydrates: 11.4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 70g Protein: 73.6g
Some of Zach's favorite keto resources include:
Perfect Keto: For those who are looking for easy supplements that support a Keto diet, Perfect Keto offers a variety of products that make it easy to stay in ketosis including keto bars, whey protein, and keto nootropics.
KetoLogic: For those who have a sweet tooth, KetoLogic sells keto-friendly chocolate candies with only 1g of net carbs & zero added sugars.
Latest posts by Zach (see all)
- 20 Delicious Keto Mushroom Recipes - December 17, 2019
- Stuffed Peppers Without Rice (Keto-Friendly) - December 10, 2019
- Easy Fudge Balls (keto, low carb, gluten free) - November 20, 2019